For most kids, this week represents the first official week of summer vacation! That means it is time to get creative and come up some ways to keep the boredom at bay! With this being said, we’ve come up with some fun ideas for different crafts you can easily do at home, including making your very own Kerr’s Lollypop puppets!
Summer Craft Ideas:
1. Put that science knowledge to use and build some popsicle stick airplanes. Have the kids create a bunch of different designs and then have a competition to see which flies best. You can even add paper or other materials if you’re feeling extra creative!
2. Make an egg carton sail boat with an empty egg carton, a wooden dowel and some ribbon. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial of how you can do this right from your own home: http://lifeatthezoo.com/egg-carton-craft-ideas-boats/;
3. Good old-fashioned pet rocks are always a hit. Go on a gathering mission and get painting. Once they’re done, give them a spritz of clear coat and place them in your garden for some added colour;
4. Build a kite and take to the skies. Let the kids personalize the foundation first, then craft a simple frame and add some string. Once complete, head out into some open space and watch the wind turn these simple crafts into soaring wonders. Here are some easy to follow instructions on how to get going on this project: http://www.happinessishomemade.net/kids-craft-diy-paper-kite/;
5. Make some Kerr’s Lollypop puppets and get ready for an afternoon of entertainment. All you need is some felt, a basic sewing kit, some googly eyes, glue, any other decorations that you may want to add, and of course Kerr’s Lollypops!
Create a template on a piece of paper to help guide your cutting. We’ve created some templates you can print and use here, or you can create your own. Then cut them out;
After cutting out the paper shapes, use them as an outline to cut your felt pieces;
Sew the two body pieces together. Remembering to leave enough room open at the bottom to fit your lollypop. If little hands are involved, this may be a job for an adult!
Glue on the googly eyes and decorate with whatever suits your fancy! Letting your imagination run wild;
Once the glue has dried, take your Kerr’s Lollypops and fold the corners of the wrap towards the middle of each piece of candy and tape them down. This will allow each lollypop to slide easily into the puppet;
Sit back and enjoy a fantastic puppet show along with your leftover lollypops!
This summer keep the kids entertained while learning at the same time. Get into the crafting spirit with these great – and easy – summer craft ideas!
Want to find the perfect Kerr’s Lollypops for your lollypop puppets? Visit www.kerrs.com/lollypops.